Gold jewelries have evolved through the ages with what was once worn only as traditional ensemble is now an everyday accessory. It is not like you have to wear typical solid 10 gram gold bangles just because you love to wear bangles. You can opt for lighter 4 grams too with designs that will mesmerize you and everyone who sees it. Apart from being an accessory gold jewelries are also assets. These are investments, as you have heard the saying like a gold, that does not let you down when you need cash but the cash will only be flowing if the gold is pure and of superior quality.
How to Determine the Quality of Gold:
Gold at its purest form is 24k at not fit to be made into jewelries as it is soft and pliable due to its less density; hence other metals are often mixed with gold forming an alloy which is then used for making jewelries. This leads us to the 22k, 18k, 10k varieties of gold. The usual mathematics for knowing the percentage of gold in these karats are you divide the karat value on the jewelry by 24 and then multiply it by 100. So, 22k gold means it has [(22/24)*100] 91.66% pure gold and the rest an alloy.
The quality of gold cannot be measured by weighing it. One of the methods is by knowing the specific gravity of gold and then using the Archimedes’ displacement method to get the volume of the gold jewelry and then calculate its density. Also, calculate its specific density and then compare it with the value of pure gold chart. But, it is not fun to roam around stores with the Eureka can and all these calculations is fun for mathematics nerds, so here are 5 ways to test the quality of gold at home:
- The very obvious test is by checking the hallmark and stamp of the jeweler with date of making engraved on the gold piece. Usually it is authentic because faking it is a criminal offence.
- You can use a touchstone and nitric acid to conduct another test. Scratch the surface of the gold jewelry on the touchstone and apply a drop of nitric acid on that scratch. Higher content of gold will make the mark vanish lesser.
- By weight, gold jewelry will be heavier than gold-plated jewelry and scratching a fake gold jewelry will leave a mark of erosion.
- The purer the gold, the softer will be the piece. You can use your hands and press the jewelry. 22k gold will give in more to the pressure than 18k gold. You can even bite it to test the softness and purity of the jewelry.
- The color of gold also depends on the karat of the gold. 24k gold is reddish yellow in color and the color sort of fades as the karat value diminishes because it depends on the impurities mixed with the metal.
Gold jewelries are necessities and pride of men and women alike. But it is wise to be careful while investing. Suppose you buy unique gold bangles designs in 20 grams and over time it turns out to be fake.